I am always looking for good ideas for breakfast, I really miss toast, and have not been able to find a good wheat free substitute that does not cost the earth.
So decide to look at something different rather than trying to replace bread, which has always been a disappointment for me.
I came up with this idea Polenta, I had never tried it before, it is easy to make, freezes well and easy to cook. also very satisfying .
2 tbs olive oil or rapeseed oil
1 garlic clove chopped
1 small red chill finely chopped
1 tbs finely chopped rosemary, or herb of your chioce
150g polenta, (I use maize flour)
100g hard cheese ( Parmesan,cheddar )
salt and pepper
- Heat 2tbs oil in pan,add garlic and chilli,sweat for 1 min, then add rosemary, stir to mix then remove from heat.
- Pour 800ml of water in a pan and boil take off heat and add polenta slowly, replace on heat and simmer for 4 to 5 mins, stirring all the time.
- Polenta should be quite thick, take off heat and add garlic, rosemary, chilli and grated cheese, mix well.
- Spread mixture in a square tin and let cool, then cut in squares.
- Can be frozen, to use later or can be grilled or fried, I usually dry fry them on my griddle.
This morning I had 2 pieces of polenta with beans and mushrooms, the polenta is crispy outside with a soft centre, and a little bit of a kick with the chilli, adds to the taste.
I would really like to know what other people with dietary problems have for breakfast.