Why not try to pickle your own beetroot, it is easy and so much better for you than bought ones.
Beetroot has many health benefits, contains dietary fibre which helps promote stable blood sugar levels.
High in vitamin A, good source of Magnesium and Potassium.
Here is how I pickle mine, not difficult at all.
It is better if you can buy organic beetroot. I usually make enough for to fill 2 kilner jars.
7 or 8 beetroot ( about tennis ball size)
1 cup cider or apple vinegar
1 desert spoonful of honey
2 star anise
1/2 tsp mixed spice.
- place whole beetroot into pot cover with cold water, bring to the boil and then turn heat down to a simmer , let simmer for about 1 hour. ( do not take skin or stalk off beetroot at this stage )
- Put vinegar, water, honey, star anise and mixed spice into a small pot and bring to the boil then stir and take off heat.
- When beetroot is cooked and cooled, take stalk and skin off.
- Cut into bite sized pieces and put into kilner jar, then cover with vinegar, and close jar.
- When cool I store in cupboard in the dark
- Once opened I store in the fridge
These jars unopened will keep for months.If you prefer you can eat cold cooked beetroot in a salad, the only thing is it does not keep long.
I usually cook my beetroot at night , let it cool overnight in pot then drain and pickle the next day.