This is an amazing cake. It is wheat free. I have been having a slice for my breakfast, it is really quite filling and very tasty.
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup apple sauce or any fruit sauce
1 1/2 cups of milk
1tsp vanilla extract
2tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 apple chopped
2 cups rolled oats
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Pre heat oven to 190 degrees.
- combine egg, applesauce, milk, vanilla, oil and apple in a bowl.
- combine oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in another bowl.
- add liquids to solids mix well.
- pour into dish, bake for 25 mins.
- top with Demerara sugar bake 4 mins.
- cut into eight slices.
This cake can be frozen in portions, I wrap them in tin foil. I usually heat mine in micro for about 30 to 40 seconds, and you can add milk or yogurt if you like.
You can use any fruit you like, but I like apples it tastes a bit like apple crumble to me.
Sweet potato ” The worlds healthiest food”.
Lately I have become fed up with the quality of potatoes I have been buying, not all the same type in the bag, most rotten inside when you cut them, so decided I needed a change.
Over the years I have used sweet potatoes, in soups and curries, but not really as a vegetable or substitute for potatoes, I like rosti potatoes so thought I would give sweet potato a try and it was really good, kinda replaces toast for me for breakfast as I am wheat intolerant and this is great to dip in your soft poached egg.
There are many health benefits, loads of vitamin A which is good for your skin, vitamin C which helps boost your immunity, beta-carotene, calcium and potassium. Also sweet potato has a low GI rating, which helps balance your sugar levels.
There are many different varieties of sweet potato available, white ,orange, and purple , at the moment I have tried the white and the orange, I found the orange sweeter but the white creamier when mashed.
To make the rosti I just took the skin off the sweet potato and grated it with a fine grater onto kitchen roll patted to remove excess water then fried in olive oil.
- Peak Produce: Satisfying Sweet Potatoes (inspiredhealthyorganized.wordpress.com)
I am always looking for good ideas for breakfast, I really miss toast, and have not been able to find a good wheat free substitute that does not cost the earth.
So decide to look at something different rather than trying to replace bread, which has always been a disappointment for me.
I came up with this idea Polenta, I had never tried it before, it is easy to make, freezes well and easy to cook. also very satisfying .
2 tbs olive oil or rapeseed oil
1 garlic clove chopped
1 small red chill finely chopped
1 tbs finely chopped rosemary, or herb of your chioce
150g polenta, (I use maize flour)
100g hard cheese ( Parmesan,cheddar )
salt and pepper
- Heat 2tbs oil in pan,add garlic and chilli,sweat for 1 min, then add rosemary, stir to mix then remove from heat.
- Pour 800ml of water in a pan and boil take off heat and add polenta slowly, replace on heat and simmer for 4 to 5 mins, stirring all the time.
- Polenta should be quite thick, take off heat and add garlic, rosemary, chilli and grated cheese, mix well.
- Spread mixture in a square tin and let cool, then cut in squares.
- Can be frozen, to use later or can be grilled or fried, I usually dry fry them on my griddle.
This morning I had 2 pieces of polenta with beans and mushrooms, the polenta is crispy outside with a soft centre, and a little bit of a kick with the chilli, adds to the taste.
I would really like to know what other people with dietary problems have for breakfast.